What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Friday, November 21, 2014

Star Wars - Edge of the Empire RPG

So its been a while since I've played Star Wars: Edge of the Empire.  When I played it I was the GM and ran my group through the introductory adventure in the beginner's set.



For those who have played other Star Wars tabletop RPG's before, but not bothered to look into this one, should keep an open mind.

The game rules are setup to provide pretty balanced characters, though the rules do take some getting used to.  First off the only major issue that anyone will have is one that alot of people seem to have with Fantasy Flight and their games - you gotta use their dice.

That is to say you can still use normal assorted dice (d6, d8, d12).  But you have to spend time referencing a conversion chart.  Thus its a good idea to fork some money out for their dice.  The problem is - what if no one else in your group wants to buy some.  I ran into that problem with my group so I forked out some bank to get a few sets of dice for them to use.  As for me I got the app on my smartphone which works well enough, though there was also a sheet of stickers you could put on any other dice you have.


I also only have the BETA book too but that was ok, we made do and weren't looking to get too involved yet.  But the starter set had all we needed which was fine.

The nice thing about the rules is that they allow for some liberty in deciding how a success plays out.  Sure you can succeed at a task, but depending on what you roll you can get an advantage or a hindrance.  A good example of this is when Luke Skywalker was with Princess Leia on the Death Star.  Luke blasted the controls of the blast door to cut them off from the Stormtroopers following them.

Here the GM sees that having Luke slice the controls to keep the troopers from just opening the door would take too much time.  Luke makes the skill roll anyway and is allowed to add a bonus die to his roll for using his blaster to shoot the controls.  Luke rolls and succeeds, but he also generates a complication for him and Leia in that while he succeeded in blasting the controls and sealing the doors locks he also destroyed the controls that extended the bridge.

Now that could have played out differently where he did shoot the controls and the resulting effect could have caused the bridge to extend.  Or maybe the door didn't lock if he failed.  Sure he blasted the heck out of the controls but it just destroyed his controls and did nothing for his opponents.

This is the sort of thing that happens in this new game system.  There is alot more interpretation and storytelling involved in this new game system.

Classes are still a thing in this game system but they serve only as an initial jump on point, and you can take on stuff from other classes - for an inflated XP cost.

And now we move on to the topic of classes.

Each class is something you are set into and cannot change.  They give you access to 3 different talent trees which grant your character a number of different bonuses.  Now when you buy talents from your class trees they cost only the amount shown...but you can buy the use of talent trees out side of your class from any class.  The cost is higher but beneficial to help you craft the character you want.

Now the rules state that you can only have up to 3 talent trees at a time for your character so there is a limit on how much you can get.

Combat damage can run in a few different ways, low or high, depending on how dangerous the GM wants things to be for the group.

I am thinking of running another game in the future if my group wants to as its an interesting system.  Now I do plan on getting the other books in the future too.



My only gripe with the system was that character creation isn't really laid out in a step by step process like in other RPG's.  So it does take a some time to figure out.

So if your interested, give the system a try.  They don't exactly have any mini's out yet for the system...but that's only a matter of time.  On the other hand there already is a surplus of Star Wars mini's out there from Wizards of the Coast.


Anyway hope you all have a good week end and let me know if there's anything else you want to know about some of these RPG's I am talking about.  I'm more than happy to help out with any questions anyone may have, I'll answer as best I can.


And in case anyone is curious.  I used to have a web site years ago called "Possibilities Unlimited".  It was a website where I devoted doing conversions for RPG's.  Conversions were where you took something and converted it for use in a game's rules.  An example of this would be Dragon Ball Z.  I remember putting a ton of time and effort into crafting each conversion for DBZ and turned out 4 Editions of the game with rules made up of close to if not over 150 pages long.

I did other stuff that folks really liked, but that was a really long time ago and I don't have any of my old work saved.

As time goes on I'll share some work that I'm doing, adventure ideas and so on for folks to use.  I'll even try and set up other pages for me to hash these things out on.

On an ending note, if your curious you can still find the website in the internet archive.  Just know that I think I spelled "Possibilities" wrong in the sites title, but I was young and spell check wasn't what it is today.  We're talking 1999 or so...yep that was along time ago - I'm 35 now.

Better times really compared to some of my more recent trials and tribulations, But what can you do but keep moving forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment