What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Friday, November 14, 2014

Entry Number 1! - Begineth Thy Blogging...and a few words on "Destiny"

So how does one start a blog?  Each person has a different way of doing things; as for me I'm a storyteller.  I guess that would mean that if I'm going to put "pen to paper" (so to speak) then I owe it to the people who are reading to know something about me.

I'm 35, and I've worked the past 16+ years in the private security industry.  Yeah it's a long time to be working in that business.  But I was dropped from my site back in August and not given a new work site or any hours in general since then.  I got a job as a painter, but that lasted only until my wife got a new job working for a local school district.  Its a great job and she loves it...but this forced me to have to give up the painting job.

Kids is the answer to the question of why.  I have two of them - a daughter and a son.  We cannot afford childcare and we prefer anyway to not have strangers raise our kids so we can both work.  And don't get me wrong, I have been looking for a job and applying at a number of places.  I'm just not hearing anything back.  Its worrisome to say the least, and depressing.

And that is why I'm here.  I'm hoping to get a blog going and maybe try and get into the paid blogger biz.  Of course I have no illusions that I'll be able to do it, but there's no harm in trying at this point.  I get to take care of my kids, and do something I enjoy - writing.


So for a blog about gaming I gotta start somewhere about that too.  What I got is a computer, an X-Box 360, my iphone, my android ASUS tablet, and believe it or not an old PSOne Portable game system from back in the day.

Now before you Playstation diehards even say anything know this.  I like games...I don't really care about the system, I care about the game.  If I had my way I would have a PS3, PS4, and X-Box One sitting right here next to my computer, all of them ready to have games played on them.  Alas that will not happen, aside from me needing a job, my wife has put the cabosh on my buying any new game systems...now if I'm given one or win one that is entirely different.

I'm also limited on buying games since I don't have a job...but I do have Game Fly!

So lets get this started.


This is the last game I was able to afford buying - Destiny.  I've already got a Level 26 Titan, Level 5 Warlock, and Level 2 Hunter.  Now I will say that I was hoping for more out of the game in terms of story, which is why I play games.  But story aside I have found a sort of mindless enjoyment in playing the game.

I recently got my first Exotic Bounty as well which has been fun but difficult bounty to fulfill (currently have to break down 10 Fusion weapons and only have 4 done).

Now in case you haven't played the game yet - there are spoilers to follow.

You've been warned.

So in Destiny you play a recently resurrected Guardian who has apparently been dead for some time, but this is only mentioned once at the start of the game and never even hinted at again there after.  Its disappointing in that I want to know just how it was my character was dead in the middle of a waste land until a random Ghost happened to come along to bring him back to life. 

Once resurrected its off and running with lots of fighting there after.  As a shooter this is to be expected - lots of shooting and looting.  But one could hope for some change ups in the game play to keep things interesting.

One of the things you get in the game, and can later buy upgraded versions of is a jumpship.  The designs of these ships are interesting, but not overtly varied.  Here was a potential point to change up the game play and add in some space combat.  But that's just not the case.  Instead these ships serve only to get you from one planet to the next and just really serve as eye candy when choosing missions.

Coop play is the name of the game when it comes to doing the more advanced missions, or when playing a mission at a higher difficulty setting.  In some cases you get dropped into a mission with randomly chosen players (the Strike Missions), but for the Daily, Weekly, and Nightly Strikes that's not an option, instead you gotta set it all up your self otherwise you run it solo.  A not impossible task with the Daily.  With the Weekly it can be very difficult to do by your self, but it can be done if your patient and come at it with a plan.

The Nightly strike is however impossible to take alone - get killed and your sent back to orbit.  As such you either need to be uncannily good at going solo on these Nightly strikes, or get your self a fire team, the more the better.

The story missions can all be replayed as often as you like at their initial difficulties or higher - but you don't get any new rewards for replaying the missions at higher difficulties - unless you have a bounty that requires a particular mission to be played at a higher difficulty.

Now depending on your play style and how fast you are, you can likely beat the final story mission of the game while only Level 16 or 17.  I managed to pull it off with my Titan at level 17, though I died about 3 times (I think, I could be wrong as its been a while).

Replaying the game with the other classes doesn't change the story either, though it would have been nice if there were differences in the story for each class.

Also mechanical there is very little difference between each class, which has been a point of complaint with players.  But as any player knows there is a 3rd slot in your class's subclasses for a 3rd subclass, so hopefully they will change up the classes and improve on them in the future for when that 3rd option becomes available.

Character levels start at 1 and go up to 20 through normal XP gain.  After level 20 however you need to start to find or buy equipment with light ratings.  Each rating on a piece of armor adds to a pool and will up your level.  You can easily have two pieces of gear that could bump your level from 20 to 22.

But don't let this stop you from going out and shooting things.  While this becomes the only way to level up the character you learn soon in the game that XP also goes to all of your gear too that you have equipped.  One of the things you will want to do is rotate out your gear as you max it out, especially weapons.  This way you got a good high powered weapon for any occasion.  And your going to want that sort of variety once you jump into PVP which you don't even want to try until you have a few Light Levels under your belt.

In all I'll say this about the game.  Its repetitive, but in a good way - at least to me it is.  Yes it can take time to level up your gear or to complete an exotic bounty, but the feeling of success if well worth it.  Loot drops are not like they are in loot based games so when you do get a drop its usually going to be something mundane...but there's always that chance that if could be something awesome.

Destiny is a fun, but repetitive game that still has room to grow through DLC and general updates.  Its definitely a good way to blow off some steam after a day of striking out job hunting with a little mindless shooting of imaginary enemies.

--Tips/Tricks--
There are a few out there that can be found on website like IGN.

First suggestion I will make is never pass up a chance to collect environmental objects you come across in the game.  Some of these are used in upgrading your gear, but some also are more disposable in that you can trade in 50 pieces of the item at one of two places around the Tower.  The first option allows you to trade for Crucible points and credits, while the other trades for Vanguard points and credits.  Its not a perfect system for getting money but it works.

As for improving your Vanguard rating (or your rating with the other factions) just run around on a planet in free play and complete the individual beacon missions you come across.  Each of these gives you more points to improve your rank with Vanguard or one of the other factions than doing a Strike in a short time, not to mention they allow you a good opportunity to complete bounties as well which add points to said rating.

Also work on other characters as well.  The game has a shared storage system that is accessible by all of your characters.  Items gotten in one mission can then be passed to another character that could use it.  For example I recently got a Legendary Helmet...but not for my Titan.  Rather it was for a hunter.  Now its in storage and once my Hunter hits level 20 its all his.

And don't forget to breakdown the gear that you don't need or want.  You get credits for doing it, and parts to upgrade your preferred pieces of equipment.  There's no place to sell gear and is something a new player can over look.

--Buy or Pass--
So a question I've been asked by my brother in law is whether or no to get the game...admittedly he still has yet to pick it up even though I keep asking him.

This game is a fun game, and depending on how social of a person you are it is made that much more fun since it is geared toward being very coop friendly, though solo gamers should still find it fun.

I would recommend you buy the game used or get it through Game Fly first just to see if its something for you.  This game isn't necessarily for everyone.  I have a friend who bought it for his PS4, but didn't find it that fun to play.  The game is not necessarily a must have right now, but it does have room for improvement and who knows what the future will hold for this futuristic shooter.

No comments:

Post a Comment