What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Thursday, June 4, 2015

Lego Worlds


Legos...its in all likely hood that you still have some laying around in a box somewhere in your home like me. Our world building sand box got its start with Minecraft, and since then we've all been wondering just when the Lego company would jump on the band wagon.

Well it looks like they finally caught on and now we have a game toat lets us play with Legos once more.

Now this game obviously isn't complete yet since it is in early access, but there is potential. For those of you who play minecraft, don't expect the same experience here. First off the controls are very different and you are moving in 3rd person. The look in general is like that of any other Lego video game out there except that the world is obviously built out of Lego's. This gives it a look far different from other Lego games and at the same time makes it that much better looking than Minecraft - also you can use a PC enabled XBox controler for it.

When you start playing you have only a limited selection of minifigs to use. As you explore you will come across more minifigs running around. You can either just walk up to them to collect them for use, or you have to defeat them in combat to collect them.

And speaking of collecting - stud collecting is still here like it is in other Lego games. You collect studs from the environment and spend them to unlock minifigs you've collected, weapons, vehicles and other things. Least to say there is going to be more stuff coming to fill this all out. You don't however have to collect blocks individually by harvesting them from the environment, their all there right off to use.

As for building, there are a number of prebuilt sets that you can just select and essentially choose where you want to put them. But there is also an option to change the landscape, and not just by using vehicles. You can add land mass, take away from it, and even control the shape to some degree as well as the color through painting. You could even use this process to build structures to some degree. You can also choose to build with individual lego pieces rather than large groups often chosen for altering the landscape.

But don't be mistaken, while it holds alot of promise its not perfect. The game needs a good graphics card to run it at its best, but even with reduced graphics settings the game still looks good. The real downside is the fact that you can't really do any intricate building yet. There's no doors, windows, joints, or other special peices that would allow you to build impressive Lego models like say an X-Wing, or a Ninjago vehicle. But its possible that we'll see these in the furture. After all who wouldn't want to built a Lego AT-AT and go stomping around in that.

But this is a minor thing to get hung up on. The controls are not difficult to understand but can be a bit picky sometimes when access a menu while using a controller as things seem better suited for a mouse at this point.

But in all this game has the potential to be something greater than Minecraft, but time will tell if this Traveller's Tales will flesh this game out to meet that potential.


For some game play footage of me trying this game out check out the link below.




No comments:

Post a Comment