What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Thursday, June 25, 2015

Batman Arkham Knight - The End of the Dark...LAG!!!



Ok so I managed to get my hands on a copy of this game through Gaming Dragons.  Apparently enough people used my links and such that I managed to get enough points to pick up the game there on the cheap.

I got the game installed and I knew even before this that I was going to have to dial the graphics down to the lowest settings.  I figured that my current graphics card could handle it since it could handle Dying Light.

Nope...no it couldn't.

Its ridiculous really when you think about it.  My video card is a GeForce GT 730 (which I got for my birthday back on April 4th), which should meet the minimum requirements.  But the game plays like it doesn't.

So I did what anyone else would do.  I contacted Nvidia and talks to a tech about the problem.

Well it turns that the game is meant to be played only with high end video cards.  That's right, they are essentially forcing people to upgrade to the best video cards on the market if they want to play this game at all on the PC.

Of course this is only part of the issues with this game.  Even people who have high end video cards are reporting issues, like the frame rate not hitting the preferred 60FPS.

The problems with all of this surrounds the push to make consumers buy the new Nvidia GeForce GTX 930.

Now the tech did give me some advice on some additional settings to change that could help me to play the game.

Below is a copy/paste from the e-mail I got which I hope can help some of you for being able to play and enjoy this game.

===================================================================

Steps we can try to isolate and troubleshoot the issue : Creating a profile in NVCPL (NVIDIA Control Panel): 

Open NVIDIA control panel (Right click on desktop and click NVIDIA control panel) > Go to Manage 3D settings under 3D settings > Select Program settings > Click Add then select the game to the list > And now change these settings from Option 2.
• Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance
• Triple buffering - Off
• Threaded optimisation - ON
• Vertical Sync - off

Apply these settings, refresh the Desktop several times, start the game play and check the performance.

If issue persists, then to analyse the issue further and to assist you, please update me with the following details : 

1. You will need to play the game on the lowest graphics settings. 
2. Are other games working fine? 

===================================================================

Now after I did all this the lag is still present in the game...but doesn't seem quite as bad as before.

Like many of you out there I am irritated that they would choose to do this and alienate their audience.  In fact they are loosing money right now on PC sales because they chose to create a game that only supports high end video cards and pays no mind to mid-range video cards that meet or even beat the minimum requirements.

They have of course pulled copies of the game from Steam and other retailers and are offering refunds.  But what they need to do is patch the holy hell out of this game so it can actually work better and with mid range video cards too that can handle the minimum requirements of the game.

Better video settings in general would also help.


Aside from these problems however the game is still some what playable for me.  The lag is enough to kind of slow time down, and I'm going to try a fix for upping the frame rate that was advised here:
TECHRADAR

Now the game does look great, even with the lag, which is ever distracting.

[Yep, I made this gif, and yes that is about what the lag is like in game.]

The controls are pulled right from the previous Batman Arkham titles; though the selection of equipment seems to have been refined to be more user friendly.

Story wise I haven't gotten that far as I have restarted my game play at least 3 times now to accommodate changes in settings and such.  But so for I'm not so certain that the Batman is actually going to be taken out by anyone in his rogues gallery.  If anything we might see his retirement, which will essentially mean the end of the Batman.

But who knows how the story will completely unfold.  Gotham is huge and you can pick and choose which missions to focus your attention on.

So stay tuned to my YouTube channel for game play videos I am posting of this...lag and all.  And lets all hope that they patch the hell out of this game soon.


In the mean time...buy this game through Gaming Dragons, as it is cheaper to get it now with all the bad publicity going.
==================================



68% OFF
$18.79
SHARE THIS CODE
==================================

And if you happen to have $1000 bucks laying around them you may as well pick up the new Nvidia GeForce GTX 930 (you even get a copy of the game with it).  And if you have a spare $1000 you'd like to just give away...my donate button is always ready to be used!  :)




No comments:

Post a Comment