What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Campaign Inspirations - Using a Video Game Strategy Guide

Hi everyone, so today I figured I'd blog about writing up a campaign and something you can do to help you write up stuff.

So if your like me and have played a lot of video games over the years then chances are that you own a strategy guide or two.  These are actually great resources for helping you to write up a table top game campaign.



I just so happen to still own one too many of these, and yes I have gotten rid of some over time.

What these books do not only give you a story you can use, but they also set up major plot points for you while you can allowing your players to decide how they get to those points.

Players have a tendency of taking games off track which video games don't really allow for.  But any good GM will know how to get players back on track - often just by adjusting the path how they get to your next plot point.

Of course using these books like this requires that your game take place in a setting that allows you to properly make use of the material, or you take the time to adjust the setting to make it work.  For example, putting superheroes into a game using the Tomb Raider (2013) story then its not likely going to work unless you make quite a few adjustments.  This is due to the fact that most super heroes can take a lightning bolt or two with ease and thus not be stopped by the magic storm that keeps people from leaving the island.

Now I've been playing the game "Alpha Protocol" and have found this game would work well for Star Wars.  I've already gotten the opening part of my campaign written up but considering the path that the players are walking down and the inevitable that will happen, things line up nicely so that I could use stuff from this book to pad things out.


I'm sure that other GM's know this, but this is something for folks who don't know how to GM or are still new at it and trying to get ideas.

Be sure to read through the book first and take notes as needed because your not going to be able to just put the book in front of you and run with it.

Try to keep in mind that the book is meant to be nothing more than a guideline and you shouldn't feel stuck going entirely by the book.

So hope folks find this helpful for their games.









No comments:

Post a Comment