What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle

So I wouldn't normally write something on a hand held game, but official Dragon Ball games on hand held devices like the iPhone or Android phones is just something that doesn't exist...well until like a few days ago.

Dragon Ball Z Dokkan Battle falls into the same sort of vein as One Piece Treasure Cruise, but I have to say that this game is a lot more fun.

While in One Piece you have to tap the screen to ensure that you hit, and do it at the right time, that isn't the case with this game.


Combat is very simple.  Each character is a certain colored attribute, which is vs. another attribute (one they are strong against and one they are weak against.  Touching on one of the "Ki Orbs" of your color generates more ki than when touching one of a different color.  Using a color that is not your characters, but an opponent is weak against I think is a way of evening out damage so that you don't do less damage but something akin to average damage.  There is also some tactics you have to employ besides this.

For example: Getting ki orbs of a character's color will fill up the Dokkan meter, that characters Ki on their portrait, and restore a bit of health.  So you have to look at who your strongest characters are and select ki orbs in a way that will allow them to collect as many of the orbs as they can to power up faster and unleash their most powerful attack.

But then there is the Dokkan meter.  Once this is full you get a "Z" pattern you have to quickly tap your finger across (or slide I'm not sure - I've only gotten to use this once) that allows the character to unleash a spectacular beat down on an opponent finishing the run with their finishing attack.

Another aspect of the tactics is when you come to a boss fight and they have minions with them.  Here its best to take out the minions first before attacking the boss.  You also have to arrange your fighters who will take their turns in a manner that best allows them to attack or defend against opponents.


The combat is fun to watch and looks every bit as fast paced as it should be.  In fact its this ease by which you can fight that makes the game so appealing.

And like One Piece Treasure you get "Character Cards" either by spending in game money (which comes in two forms), or spending your money to buy the in game money (Dragon Shards, I think is what they are called) with which you can then buy your randomly selected characters.

In all this is a surprisingly fun game to play.  And while my first character was 1st Form Frieza, I have been generating enough dragon shards through logging in and playing missions that I eventually lucked out and got Super Saiyan Vegeta (SSR card).

So if you haven't gotten this game yet - check it out.  Its fun and easy to play even if your not a big Dragon Ball fan.


And yes there is a story behind it as well that plays into the "Time Patrol" style story created in many of the newer Dragon Ball Z games.



No comments:

Post a Comment