What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Farewell to our Princess - Carrie Fisher

Image result for Carrie fisherOne of the first films I remember seeing as a child was Star Wars.  I was born in 1979 and the original film had a knack, back in those days, for staying in theaters.  While some may think me crazy, my mother was surprised that I remembered that they had taken me with them to see the first film.  As the next two films came out I became enamored with that universe, and its characters.  As I grew I began to see the characters I loved in different ways than I had as a child.  Luke was of course the hero, the main character, but he also had his flaws.  Han was flawed from the start, but each movie polished those flaws out turning a scoundrel into a hero.  And then there was Leia, who never really changed and was ever the pillar that held up Luke and Han.

She was a princess, but not once was she ever the damsel in distress that leaned upon the men who came to save and then fight next to her.  Leia was her own hero.  She would save herself if given half the opportunity.  The tale of the princess always needing to be rescued is as old as they come.  Disney, of course, further established this line of storytelling well before they acquired the Star Wars property.  Leia was strong, confident, and hard headed - not the traits common for a princess. But these were traits that would eventually come to inspire other princesses.

Of course, I shouldn't overlook the fact that she has been more than a princess.  Carrie was an accomplished actress who played the estranged and angry fiance to John Belushi's "Jake Blues" (The Blues Brothers).  But here also we got to see that same strength of character put into this role.  She didn't speak at all up until the very end when Jake took off his sunglasses and looked at her with his blue eyes that briefly extinguished the desire to kill him.

Her roles have continued through the years, amidst the highs and lows of her personal life.  She also found time to write books such as Postcards from the Edge, and The Princess Diarist.  Many of her early works, starting with Postcards, were a semi-autobiographical in that much of Carrie's own life influenced her work.

Carrie Fisher embodied many of the traits of her various fictional counterparts.  That isn't to say that she didn't have her own flaws, something she was keen to bring to light for everyone to know about.  As a Star Wars fan I know of only of those she made public.  But her flaws didn't define her, it was through her own actions.

Like Leia, she to fought a war, but this was against bipolar disorder and substance abuse.  Already an inspirational fictional character, she became a source of inspiration for many women and men suffering from either problem.  Carrie was every outspoken about her ordeals, and an advocate for others.  While she clearly suffered through these moments of her life, she ultimately seemed to win out and gained strength from her accomplishments.

And there is much more one could say, but such words are best left for those who actually knew her best. In closing - we will miss her.

Carrie Fisher drowned in moonlight, strangled by her own bra, 12/27/2016. This happened because there is no underwear in space and she was a woman who truly was out of this world.

============================================================

In an unfortunate twist to the finale for the tale of this woman's life; her mother, Debbie Reynolds, has also passed away (12/28/2016).

No comments:

Post a Comment