What its all about...

As a fan of table top Role Playing Games, and Video Games, not to mention anime I once had a web site that I devoted to creating conversions of the things I liked to a particular game system or another.

Well I'm back and its time to get back to posting and talking about the things I like with others.

Video Games: I will be trying to write reviews for games I play and may even work out conversions of games to table top RPG's for gamers to enjoy, or at least I will give a guiding hand rather than doing all the work myself. Unfortunately the only game system I own is an X-Box 360, and my computer which kind of limits what I can do. Unless some kind soul wants to buy me an X-Box One. :)

Table Top RPG's: I play a few different table top games along with my friends. Sometimes I will write about a game system I have read up on or tried out, and may write up a conversion for agame system. Game systems I typically play are - Hero System (Champions, Fantasy Hero); Star Wars (Fantasy Flight Version, Saga Edition); Savage Worlds, D&D (3.5 Edition, 5th Edition); Pathfinder, and possibly others in the future.

But I look forward to providing folks with some entertainment and to get some discussions going on things I may post (but please keep it civil).

Also please feel free to click on any ads that are on my blog here, doing so really helps me out.

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Rummaging through boxes and found some old game books!

So I have a lot of crap, particularly comic books.  (One day I'll show just how many I have to everyone.)  Yesterday I took to going through all the boxes I have in storage at my mom's house (I live in a 2 bedroom apartment with my wife and kids...only so much room).  I was looking for 3 specific books that I knew I had but wasn't sure where they had gotten to.

Aside from cleaning out 2 boxes of stuff that I didn't need as they were essentially just papers I had no need for with anymore; I came across some RPG books of mine.

So many of you likely will recognize these books.

  1. Street Samurai Catalog:  This was a book I had for Shadowrun from back in the late 1990 (like 98 or so) and have had it ever since.
  2. AD&D 2nd Edition:  Yep still got the PHB for this, and I looked at the rules, first thing that came to mind when I glanced through - Well this is unplayable.  I know that's not the case but there is one other reason to never play it again, Thaco.
  3. Rifts & Rifts Conversion Book:  Now I liked Rifts years ago (again late 1990's until 2002-2003), but then Palladium went crazy on anyone who posted conversions, creations, house rules on line.  They threatened and bullied a lot of people back then (something they could never get away with these days).  But it ended my enjoyment for their system...not that it was a great system to begin with as it had its share of flaws too.  I even had 6-7 books back then and now just 2 that I was never able to sell.
  4. Star Wars (West End Games Edition):  This was the book that introduced me to Star Wars as a tabletop RPG.  I still have 3-4 other books for this, including the Live Action Role Play rule book.
Now I do have a few other books that I didn't take pictures of - Vampire the Masquerade 2nd Edition PHB, Advanced PHB, and three other source books for it.  Yes in high school and for a while after I got done with the Army I did play Vampire the Masquerade.  My sister played the game too and we had mutual friends who played too.  And yes we did LARP.  In hindsight The LARPing was ridiculous, it was fun at times - don't get me wrong, but ultimately LARPing takes away a lot of the fun of just sitting around a table and using your imagination.

So after going through every single box, where do I find the 3 books I was looking for?  The very last one...and I do mean that literally.

Dragon Ball Z: The Anime Adventure Game

Yep I got all 3 books, including the hard to find/rare 3rd Book.

Now the game had a lot of flaws, didn't use the complete Fuzion system by R. Talsorian games.  (Though the core rule book did have a note for "Champions" players.)

I specifically was looking for these books for several reasons.  First I am a DBZ fan.  Second I've had talks with my game group about the system and it made me want to find the books and reread the rules.  Third I am thinking of writing up some new rules and borrowing parts of this game system to create my own home made DBZ game system.

But I am happy that I found them and that I did in fact have the 3rd book.

So it leaves me wondering, has anyone else out there had such an occurrence where you were digging through boxes and found some old game books of yours that you either didn't know you still had, or that you were pretty sure you had - but just didn't know for certain until you found them?

Leave your stories in the comments section!



No comments:

Post a Comment